16 August 2011

South East Again

For whatever reason beyond my control, my job requires that I choose my vacation days each December for the coming year. This is sometimes a challenge because, as you all know, plans change frequently. It is hard to plan days off for the entire year.

So, (Provide your own noise that indicates you rewinding to last December), there I was last December, getting ready to pick my vacation days with the rest of the firefighters. Rebecca and I had planned a trip to Tampa. We coordinated with some friends of ours, the Robinson's, to get away from the kids and responsibilities. I mention all of this vacation preplanning stuff just to point out that as it turns out, I have pretty much spent my entire summer in the South East United States. Fortunately this past week was sweet, relaxing, unmolested vacation. The four of us flew to Tampa, and spent a week without kids. Clearwater, Florida to be more specific. I won't bore you with the details, but we laid on the beach, went to an amusement park, snuck in a baseball game to get another one off my list done, and hung out with dolphins. If anyone is a fan of the old sitcom "Wings," you may remember Lowell (More commonly known as Thomas Haden Church) We took a boat ride to go snorkeling and see dolphins and our tour guide was a near cut out of Lowell. I loved it.

The kids had a blast while we were gone, staying two days with my parents and two days with Rebecca's mom. They really don't care if we are gone as long as we bring them back some surprise. Five dollars goes a long way in providing surprises too. I typically get them in the airport gift stores.

So now we are back, and summer is as good as over, and I don't currently have my next baseball trip specifically planned. For the last 5 years or so I have had the next trip planned. I guess technically we have a vacation set, but it is 15 months away. (We are saving up for a Disney World Exodus and Extravaganza. Yes. I said Extravaganza.)

The other day I was watching an old Family Ties episode and realized that there just isn't programming like that on TV anymore. Remember all the shows we came home from school to watch? ALF, Growing Pains, Family Ties, Night Court, Saved By The Bell, Perfect Strangers, Small Wonder, Wings, The Wonder Years, Mork and Mindy, Baywatch (was that just me?). Will there ever be a day when I watch DVD episodes of The Bachelor Pad? TV just isn't what it used to be...which reminds me: I am calling out all available Hexes on Netflix. For so many years Netflix has been awesome. I have caught up on many of the above mentioned TV shows. Now they have jacked up their prices and make you choose between streaming and renting, or pay huge prices for both. I am so disappointed. We cancelled ours. We were faithful customers for so long, and what do they do? They spit in our faces. That's what they do.

To end on a good note: Dolphins...hopefully. (this is my first attempt at video uploads)


5 comments:

Aimee said...

Okay, so first of all, I am jealous of your vacation. Jer and I have been married for 15 years (which means you've been home from your mission for that long .. he he) and went to Florida once. That is pretty much the only time we've gone away without kids and that was 12 years ago. Pathetic.

Secondly, last night Josh was playing his little Netflix game.. you know... name a show or movie and then search to see if it's there. So I told him to search Family Ties. It was there (I'm sure you knew it would be) so we watched an episode. And I agree - those were great shows. Now my kids do nothing but watch the stupid Disney Channel. While I love Disney - I could do without "Good Luck Charlie" and "Suite Life on Deck." Ugh.

p.s. your video worked for me!

Stephanie said...

What a fun getaway. Nice to be without kids, huh? I find that it helps me remember that I'm still a 'normal' person. The video was awesome. Can't wait to hear about the DisneyWorld Extravaganza. We've never been on an 'Extravaganza'. :) They sound awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wings was a great show. We don't have very many sitcoms or drama's that we watch anymore. We are usually on the travel channel, history or food network. We are getting old or tv just sucks. We are probably just old, I am almost 40!!!

I need a trip planned, it's keeps me going. Jared I think is bored at work and he calls daily with a "deal of the day!" I'll just wait and see if he plans anything.

Hendricksonblog said...

I think I was there during that video but ours was hawaii so I guess I wasn't but I am sure they are the same dolphins, they jumped just like that.
Hey whos the super model in the second pic w/you. Woot Woot. Tell her I said that too.
How in the hell do you remember all the titles of all the old shows? I'm so glad you do though because it reminds me that I used to remember them.
Crap I better check my netflix bill

Danielle said...

So I wish you still had a FB so I could let you know your Angels are getting jacked by the Rangers tonight. :)

Yay for a trip with no kids!!! Good for y'all!