03 June 2012

Last Day of School: Last Day of Cool



Last Day of School
I have been racking my brain all weekend to come up with the adult equivalent to the feelings you get as a kid on the last day of school.  I can’t do it.  Anybody that can solve this for me, please comment.  That exhilaration that its finally summer is unmatched.  No school for three months!  Our kids’ last day-Friday-was just that....for them.  
They had a little program at the school.  Each of the grades learns and performs a dance for all the parents and the rest of the school.  The kids get very into it.  I remember my last day of school at good old Magna Elementary was spent running from the kids of higher grades who had water balloons and shaving cream and were hunting for the easy targets of the first, second, third and fourth graders.  Then in fifth grade, I remember being the one with the shaving cream, teaming up with the sixth graders to smears as many first, second, third, and fourth graders as we could get our hands on.  I also remember learning that water balloons held more than just plain old water, and we made many balloons that were filled with soda pop and milk.  (You thought I was gonna say pee right?  Too bad, I never did that.)  You never outgrow a water fight right.  In fact, to impart wisdom to all who read:  " Never start a water fight with a firefighter."  Confucius may have said that.  
In Junior High, and even High School, I remember the last week marked yearbook time.  I always looked forward to yearbooks.  Partly because of the history captured within a yearbook, I have always loved history.  Not so much history class, but history on my own terms.  It was also fun to see what pictures were chosen to culminate the year.  I bet nowadays yearbooks’ are much more challenging because there are so many more cameras always around.  Yearbook staff must surely have a hard time sorting through all of them.  
In high school, the last day of school was kind of anti-climatic, but mostly because my last day of school in tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grades happened sometime in early to mid May when I stopped going to classes.  I remember spending the last weeks of school at Magna Park playing “sand” volleyball and then at various friends houses.  I wonder if the current Cyprus Pirates spend any time at Magna Park?  Way back then (1990’s) we even use to hang out there at night playing various games like capture the flag and other “night games.”  Does anyone even dare go there after dark anymore?  
Anyway, Friday was that day: The Last Day of School.  Just another Friday for us adults-parents get gipped.  We need to come up with an equivalent to the last day of school-for parents.  A culminating event that is anticipated all year.  Something we work towards and get to celebrate with water balloons and shaving cream wars perhaps?

5 comments:

Natalie said...

The adult equivalent is when the kids go BACK to school and leave me home.

I didn't think non-hooligans hung at magna park at night back in the 90's. Of course, I lived in WVC, on the edge of the boundary of Cyprus, so I just grew up thinking Magna park was ghetto. So funny, considering I lived in WVC.

3 "Pease" in a pod said...

If you work at a school you ALMOST get that same feeling. Not quite as exciting since I still have to go to work, but experiencing their excitement takes you back. And knowing when you go to work that the kids won't be bugging you every 5 seconds helps with the exciting feeling. :)

The Teaching Mom and Wife said...

Being a teacher I think we are way more excited than the kiddo's to get out of school the last day. We may not celebrate with water balloons and shaving cream but we do have a party with good food!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the junior high yearbooks these days? My 7th grader came home with one that looked better than any we got from our high school.

I love the last day of school just as much as the kids. No more fighting in the morning to get ready or homework or stupid projects. I earn that last day of school too!!!!

Hendricksonblog said...

Magna Park is as scary as it always was and really it only looks scary and run down. Same drunks roaming around down there as always but Hey they have a library and the Pizza stop is back!