30 December 2010

My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad / I'm Telling My Mom!

Lest I be one of those chumps that says, “Golly, I sure wish I would have expressed more appreciation for my parents...” (disclaimer: my parents are not dying, at least not any more than the rest of us are)...this post is all about Mom and Dad. My Mom. My Dad. Mom. Dad. I love you. I don't tell you enough I know. Thanks so much for being the best parents ever. I am so lucky to have been given to such wonderful people to show me the ropes of life. I hope Rebecca and I can be as good of parents to our kids as you guys were.

Dad: you know everything. You know about everything. Even stuff that gets you nowhere in life (not stated as a bad thing here). If I ever get a ride on the cash cab, or any of those millionaire shows, I am using my one phone call on you. Thanks for teaching me how to shoot, how to prepare, how to work, how to drive, and on and on. Confession time: Once, when you let me take the car before I had a license, I was going way too fast trying to keep up with JP Mataalii on 41st South, and the roads were a little wet, and a slight bend in the road came upon us (Jazey Drecksel was in the car), and we slid. Did a 360 to one side, I turned into the slide like Mr. Condie and Mr. Applegate later taught me, and we did a 360 the other way before coming to a stop on the front lawn of one of the houses up there. I am not sure what house it was, or what exactly happened, but we did not stay around long enough to find out either. We booked it out of there and drove home.
I am almost certain we parked the car and went downstairs to play Tecmo Bowl. I feel better getting that off my chest. If it makes you feel any better, I have also done a 360 in a fire engine-and that was a lot more terrifying than spinning out in the car and landing on someone’s lawn. Your probably more upset right now that I potentially damaged someone’s green lawn than you are about driving like an idiot in the car.

Mom: You taught me responsibility and levelheadedness. I have never had to pay for a haircut. You taught me how to cook, do laundry, and how to treat girls/women the right way. (disclaimer: yes you taught me, though I do not always embrace these teachings...) I am fairly certain you gave me my love for Disney.
Something genetic definitely, and we love it when you join us there. I don’t have any confessions specifically relating to you...but Doug does.

You have both always supported me in all of my doings: little league, scouts, ballet (ha ha-yeah right), school, and whatever I wanted to do. I took up tons of your time, and I appreciate the support you give me in all I do.

I am often accused of being so independent, and I am. I don’t want that to be synonymous with not needing, or showing need, respect, and love, for my parents. I feel like my ability to be independent stems from a solid upbringing. Anyway. That’s what I wanted to say.

6 comments:

Julia said...

I love sappy! Your parents will love this.

Danielle said...

awww, this was seriously so nice (and funny!) to read wow. you're a good guy, chad! and your parents always seemed like really good people too. (haha on doug having confessions for your mom - that kills me!)

Aimee said...

How sweet. I told my mom that I refuse to blog about her or put it on facebook that I appreciate/love her. It's just not me. Kudos to you for your words of kindness (and of confessions). Did you ever tell your mom and dad about ... oh nevermind.

p.s. I appreiciate that you never had to pay for a haircut. I refuse to let Jer or Josh go anywhere for a haircut. It's too easy to do it yourself and save a few bucks. Now if I could learn how to cut my own hair.

Nicole said...

Awwww.... how sweet! You're getting sappy in your old age. I love it!

Hendricksonblog said...

http://hendricksonblog-huh.blogspot.com/2010/07/place-to-publish-those-photos-that-make.html

Copy and paste above link to view what I now have suspicion that Chad caused.
This is on 4100 South. I'm sure this family has never had the $ to repair your damage. Interesting how this came full circle Chad.

Anonymous said...

Is it the fence? That was my exact thought when I read that!

Mr. Applegate and Mr. Condie....wow! Haven't thought of those two in years.

I like your mom and dad too.