10 January 2011

Greatest American Hero

I am not even sure what to say. On January 2, 2011, at the age of 92, Major Dick Winters quietly passed away.

I have never met this man. He has no idea who I am. His greatest moments happened well before I was born. Despite this, he has influenced me immensely in my life. Outside of immediate family and religious figures, I would credit him as the next most influential person in my life. I feel like I know him inside and out. I have read every book I know exists in which he is mentioned. I have read every book he has written, and I have watched every movie in which he had mention.


I have often written about our greatest generation and my feelings for those that lived in those times. As I have written these things, I have always pictured and recalled the life of Dick Winters.


For those who do not know, a quick history. Dick Winters was a member of the 101st Airborne (paratroopers) during World War 2. He dropped into Normandy on D-Day. His heroics began shortly after landing when he led a number of soldiers against some major artillery weapons that were firing onto Utah beach...probably saving thousands of American and allied soldiers lives that were trying to land there. He led from the front. In one battle, he ordered his men to not advance until he popped a smoke grenade. Prior to popping the grenade, he ran at a full sprint to the front line, giving himself a 10-20 second head-start. Just one example of his leadership. He rose quickly through the ranks of the military, due to his natural leadership ability. He led by example, never giving an assignment that he was not willing to do. He fought in Bastogne (the Battle Of The Bulge) , in the Ardennes Forest. He fought in every major and significant battle that the 101st was assigned. As the war came to a close, he was part of the group that captured Hitlers high Alps compound. He was awarded so many battle related awards, and the men assigned to his stewardship all had (have) the utmost respect for him as their leader. He never sought for recognition or fame for his heroism, and tried his best to live a quiet peaceful life after the war. He often spoke of the true heroes, those soldiers that never came home as the ones that deserve the praise and recognition he was given. Once his grandson asked him if he was a hero. He answered, "No, but I served with a company of heroes." His life and accomplishments are detailed in several books, and in an HBO miniseries called Band Of Brothers.


It disgusts me that this is not bigger news, even though he would not have wanted any fuss made. People like Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, and others pass away, usually due to overdose or whatnot, and the media covers it for 3 months. A true hero dies, and there is an article at the back of a newspaper or hidden somewhere obscurely on the webpage. America should be in mourning for this loss, as I am.


Major Winters is truly an inspiration to me and I know to millions of others. To me he represents a symbol of greatness from our Country’s Greatest Generation. A huge hole is left in our world with his passing. Thank you to Major Winters, to the men and women of that greatest generation, and to the small percentage of people who carry on the same characteristics of greatness today. The soldiers in the armed forces yesterday, today and those who continue to enlist. Thank you.


Rest In Peace Major Richard "Dick" Winters.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put!

Danielle said...

sad to say, i am one of the ignorant ones. sounds like he was a great man, and had a lot of wonderful attributes that are missing in {most of} society today.

Julia said...

Thanks for writing this, Chad! I'm going to forward it to my dad. He's a big history buff and I know he'll love reading this.

Hendricksonblog said...

Natalie is so digging this post when she reads all that middle history stuff. I bet she gets all tingly inside. I sort of skim through, kind of like when I read the scriptures...........except you provide pictures, thanks for that.

You can't be more right about him not getting the recognition he deserves but usually the ones who don't want it are the ones who should get it

Heath did play a good Joker though

Natalie said...

Is "middle history" kind of like "middle earth" or something? Because I don't really dig fantasy, Lord-of-the-Ringish stuff, April. But I DO dig WWII stuff.

My grandpa who served in Europe from 1942-1945 would never talk about it. Ever. Until just a couple of days before he died, he told me that it was so depressing, and he was so sad. Sad to see his friends dying. Sad to not be with his wife and new baby, sad that there was so much destruction. Then he told us about a nice little german boy in obliterated Cologne, Germany right when the war ended in Europe. He would bring clean water to my grandpa and his fellow soldiers every day so that they could shave. They gave him chocolate in return. He said he could never understand why they had to kill so many regular, normal people. It affected him his entire life and was probably the reason he struggled with un-diagnosed depression and grouchiness. Or, maybe it's just genetic, and that's where I get it:)

Anyway, thanks for posting. The 101st was amazing!!!!

Hendricksonblog said...

oh sorry middle paragraph I meant

Rob and Meish said...

Enjoyed reading the post. I know it's not a WWII book, but I recently read Matterhorn, a novel written by a Vietnam vet. I consider it to be a must read and it is one of the few books I will actually recommend to people. It really is heartbreaking that the sacrifices those have made for us don't get the attention they should. Yet, as you mentioned, Charlie Sheen has a wicked bender and it's all over the news...

Vanisi Family said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I have never heard of him prior to this. I love hearing stories like his, so thank you for telling us.

Daniel Coleman said...

Chad-
First of all, great post. I also mourned the passing of such an amazing man.

Second, I looked around for your email but couldn't find it so I'll just comment. I think I remember you telling me that your wife reads a lot of YA books. I just published a short ebook entitled Jabberwocky. It's based on Lewis Carroll's epic poem, but with some unexpected twists. It's available on Amazon and Smashwords if you guys are interested.

Keep up the great blogging!

Daniel
dcolemanbooks@gmail.com