17 July 2010

Disneyla, No Wait, Lagoon Retro Diary

I am bringing back the Diary style of writing that was totally stolen from Bill Simmons.


10:55 a.m.- Standing at the ticket window in shock after being told that the day price for our family would be 120 bucks, even after the Mormon discount. (Stake Lagoon Day!) I can only imagine the look on my face. I begin to wonder to myself (and possibly out loud to the 16-year-old ticket-sales-girl) why I am paying so much money when I have an annual pass to Disneyland resting in my pocket?


11:03 a.m.- We bust through the turnstiles and the kids still grab maps. Except, unlike Disneyland, we need these ones. I have no clue where to go or what to ride first. In fact, aside from the Colossus and the White Roller coaster, I am not even sure what the choices are. Other than last years Stake Lagoon Day, my last time in Lagoon was 1993-two years after 'Lagoon: A Beach' opened, and five years after the last known maintenance on the White Roller Coaster.


11:35 a.m.- Grizzly, er...uh... Rattlesnake Rapids. Awesome fun ride, except it smells like the water is used as the monthly shower for half the riders. But, since it’s 100 degrees at Lagoon today, we can look past these minor imperfections that make us wish more and more that Disneyland was closer. I have been in plenty of locker rooms that smelled worse.


12:41 p.m- After reminding ourselves that this isn’t Disneyland, we go to the kids rides area. I looked hard for a name to this area, but there wasn’t one. As the kids are riding the rides that all seem to do the same thing but with different decorations, my mom feels it appropriate to tell me that when I was young my favorite ride was Bulgy the Whale. She also tells me it looked the exact same as it does right now, and probably had the exact same ride operator, only 30 years older. I make my mom pinky swear that she will never tell that story again.


1:14 p.m- My kids sure love the bumper cars. The little kid ones that they can drive all by themselves and no parent is required to be in the car. In fact, one thing I like about Lagoon is that they ban you from certain rides if you are too tall. This saved me from many painful moments today. Still, it’s no Disneyland. Have I said that already? It was especially fun to watch the ride attendant threaten the 3-year-old kids to sit down or he wasn't letting them out of the ride area.


2:01 p.m.- Disney has the Haunted Mansion. Lagoon has the Terror-ride. I am speechless. I got nothin.


2:27 p.m.- I just witnessed two large bolts and several stabilizing crossbeams fall off the White Roller Coaster. Except, I feel bad calling it the “White” Roller Coaster because it hasn’t been painted since my trip here for 9th grade promotion. Seriously, the wood is bare and exposed and I am not sure how I was talked into riding it. It’s more terrifying than having to sit through an episode of “So You Think You Can Dance.”


3:13 p.m- Just got off the Spider. Note to self, do not start out sitting backwards in the Spider ride ever again. Ever. Again.


4:01 p.m.- My Aunt’s husband Gary talked me into riding the Cliffhanger with him. I was scared to death that I was going to puke. My stomach was quickly approaching its Lagoon threshold and I knew it. The Cliffhanger is a ride that goes around in circles, two long benches of people, except the benches can rotate, spin, and tumble however they want. If you look at the picture, I am almost in the middle, in the blue shirt, asking the kids next to me if "this ride hurts?" I only went on it because I temporarily lapsed back to Jr High when he said, “I’ll go if you go.” Maybe it was the fact that I was actually at Lagoon and remembered the days long gone of being 15 years old picking up on cute girls that all ended up being 12?


4:29 p.m- Just got off Wicked. Note to self, "you are 35 years old now, your body is not able to ride Spider, Cliffhanger, and Wicked in succession." Why do they put all these rides next to each other? You almost have no choice. In a related story... There’s practically no line on the Colossus!


4:32 p.m.- No amount of Jr High ribbing could get me on the Colossus. I was done and I knew it.


5:01 p.m.- Just turned down the Wild Mouse. See 4:32 p.m. above. Happily watched the kids on Musical Express. Also, scouted out the three nearest garbage cans, just in case.


6:09 p.m.-Saved by the baby. Someone had to stay behind with Haylee so everyone else could do the Bat, and the Tilt-O-Whirl, and the Rocket. I found myself wishing I had saved myself for the Slingshot.


8:31 p.m- It’s almost dark and getting cooler after a blistering 129 degree Fahrenheit day, so we did what anyone in their dirty, sweaty clothes would do, we rode the Rapids. As much as I have subtly made fun of Lagoon and compared it to the Happiest Place on Earth, these Rattlesnake Rapids are pretty fun. Probably my favorite ride, especially when the sunny side of Mars was colder today. Once again, the whole raft got absolutely soaked. Mission accomplished.


9:00 p.m.- Eli asks what time the fireworks start. A small tear comes to my eye, both in pride and disappointment Proud that my kids are spoiled enough to also compare Lagoon to Disneyland, and sad that there were not actually going to be fireworks.


9:17 p.m.- Dracula’s Castle, the Terror Ride, and one more quick ride on the bumper cars and we are gone like 5 Arby’s regulars. I couldn’t help but think if only we had added 9 hours to our drive we could have been in Disneyland.


9 comments:

Natalie said...

They still have Stake Lagoon Day? Wow. They used to come with a free snow cone ticket. I remember barfing my cherry snow cone into a garbage can somewhere between the tilt-a-whirl and the bumber cars.

I miss Lagoon. Alls we have here in Oregon are Hippie Fairs. I liked going to Lagoon with boys I liked and holding sweaty, sticky hands.

3 "Pease" in a pod said...

Oh Chad,your blog posts always make me laugh! You pretty much put my thoughts down for me as well. We still had a lot of fun with you guys, but I'm sure we'll have a LOT more fun with you in D Land! The guy at the bumper cars will someday be someone big! He takes his job seriously! Ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

Poor Chad! We were just at Lagoon and you painted the picture perfect! Jared is still sore, just don't tell him I told you. We loved the Rattlesnake ride. Jack and I wasted about 10 dollars in quarters squirting the suckers before they hit the falls. They never saw it coming and it made us laugh every time.

My overall assesment of lagoon is that the youth are super ugly more!

Stacie said...

I am glad that I read your post today, because you have officially reminded me that Lagoon is NOT Dland. My boys have only been there once and that was when Alex was 4 and the twins were 2 (well I guess that would only be the older three, the younger two have never been there). I told them we would see if we could make it there this year, but I'm thinking that instead we'll just plan that extra 9 hours for the drive to the happiest place on earth, and skip the nostalgia of all that was once fantastic.

Jolene_Gary said...

I look forward to reading your blog. It is always entertaining. We had alot of fun with you guys. I am also excited for Disneyland. Until then keep on entertaining us with your words of wisdom....lol

P.S. You do have a good way with words.....

Hendricksonblog said...

Cant believe you hated cliff hanger. I also am surprised you are a weak stomach. Did you do that freaking Samurai (sp?) I hate that one. Terror ride is poo.

Rob and Meish said...

Oh, the Lagoon. Just the thought of going there sends a shiver of fear, scared to death I'll contract the pink eye or some other scary skin infection.
It's been a few years since we've been, glad to hear not much has changed. Loved reading the post!

Sarah said...

Chad, your post is EXACTLY the way I feel about Lagoon. We go to Lagoon once a year (only becuase my work pays for it). The kid's LOVE it. But, the entire time all we do is compare it to Disneyland and why we would rather be there instead of Lagoon. I don't find many fellow Disneyland fans like me out there so I'm happy to know that you and your family are just as nutty as we are.

Candace said...

I love your blog! You always make me laugh! I would have NEVER thought you to be the one scanning for the garbage cans "just in case" :) I haven't been to Disneyland since I was 16! And my kids have never been. So Lagoon is where the fun is in my eyes! I am sure you will call DCFS on me for child abuse but just know that we are planning a trip in April 2011 and who knows, maybe we will be as big of nuts about it as you are. Until then...I love you Lagoon!! ;)